- Use Brushless DC (BLDC) motor as both starter and generator connected to Honda GX25 motor.
- Build a simple DIY ESC circuit that when powered will rotate the BLDC shaft to start the GX25 (working as a starter motor).
- Build a rectifier circuit that when engaged to BLDC will make it generate power for charging batteries and giving the robot an extra power boost in the hour of need.
- Build an ECU circuit with inputs for tachometer, voltmeter, ammeter and outputs for throttle servo and mechanical relays that allows engaging/disengaging the ignition, ESC and rectifier circuits on demand.
|GX25 BLDC generator|
The basic API for the circuit should look something like this:
- Start engine
- Stop engine
- Set throttle
- Set charging
- Start generator only when battery is low and/or power drain is high
- Adjust throttle to accommodate load
- Detect, alert and manage overheating
- Detect, alert and manage low-fuel
- Manage motor warm-up under different ambient temperatures.
How this circuit will communicate with central command and what will happen when communication breaks down is still to be decided.