- Quick to build
- Won't work
- Learn a lot
The process is documented thoroughly with images for every step below. But before we get to that, I would like to summarize what I learned:
- Making prototypes is really fun!
- The motor needs more torque to be useful for limbs of 30cm.
- I still need to find a way to determine the position of the limbs.
- The wood block broke (surprise)!
|I measured up two lengths of 30 + 3cm plastic tube, one for the tibia and one for Femur (thigh) and one for Tibia (shin).
|I wanted the hinge to be at exactly 30cm so i left 3cm of extra length.
|First i work on the Femur near the knee joint.
|I flattened the end with some pliers.
|On both sides of the 30cm mark.
|I eyeballed what to cut.
|I cut out the part that got in the way of the motor with my new dremel tool.
|I measured the motor screws to find the perfect drill bit.
|First attempt at holes.
|I had to widen one of the holes.
|Motor securely fastened to Femur.
|Now I need to fasten the Tibia to the shaft somehow.
|A small block of wood to the rescue.
|I divide it to get the right thickness.
|Sawing parallel to the fibers is slow.
|Now a hole for the shaft.
|Shaft fit perfectly.
|I found a screw to fasten the shaft.
|The block was to long for the screw to reach all the way in to the shaft.
|There, now it's perfect.
|I drilled the hole for the screw perpendicular to the shaft hole.
|The block is now firmly attached to the motor shaft with the screw.
|Holes for mounting the Tibia to the block.
|Screws through the block.
|screws on their way into the limb tube.
|Tibia prepared for mounting on block.
|Block securely fastened to Tibia.
|Knee joint complete.